Saturday, February 15, 2014

Standing Success! / Victoire Debout

For years, standing and walking were my worst foes in terms of causing pain in the back and the knees. How ironic that one of the most powerful Qigong (Chi-Gung) exercises/meditation consists of simply standing!

I don’t mean holding the horse-stance for hours like you see in Bruce-Lee do in his Kung-Fu movies, I mean simply standing. Yes, there are arm positions and breathing techniques and such, but the basic remains just standing for as long as you can without getting tense.

canadianTaiChi

  Depuis des années, me tenir debout et marcher ont été des ennemis redoutables concernant la douleur au dos et aux genoux. Curieux que l’une des pratiques de Qigong (Chi-Gung) les plus puissantes consiste à simplement rester debout!

Je ne parle pas de travailler l’endurance acroupie comme dans le cinéma Kung-Fu, mais simplement se tenir debout. Oui, quelques techniques de respiration et positions des bras, mais quand-même pas grand-chose d’autre que rester debout aussi longtemps que possible sans se stresser.
Last Friday, at work, we had another general team meeting, one of those things were senior management summarizes the past year and explains what is expected for the year ahead.

Maybe 6 months ago, we had one of these that lasted about an hour. I tried to stay standing up and paid for it with really stiff back and sore legs for the rest of the night – despite the fact I was able to walk around a good deal.
  Vendredi dernier, au boulot, on a eu une assemblée départementale, la sorte où les exécutifs font la récapitulation de l’année passée et les projections pour l’année à venir.

Il y a peut-être 6 mois, à une assemblée semblable d’environ une heure, j’ai décidé de rester debout. Résultat: le dos comme du béton armé et de graves douleurs aux jambes. Ceci, en dépit du fait que j’ai pu marcher pendant l’assemblée.
This time, I stayed standing-up for the full hour without walking around and had NO PAIN at all! Yes, I did swing on my feet a bit and moved my shoulders just to keep the blood flowing, I did not do the Royal Guard routine, but that’s not much.

I consider it quite a triumph to have done this and practicing Tai-Chi is the reason!
  Cette fois-ci, debout sans marcher toute l’heure durand et sans AUCUNE DOULEUR quoi que ce soit! Oui, je me suis balance les orteilles et les épaules juste pour assurer la circulation sanguine, mais ce n’est pas grand mouvement.

Je considères ceci un triomphe considérable et c’est grâce à la pratique du Tai-Chi!

No comments:

Post a Comment